During times of high humidity or following water damage, you might suspect that mold has grown in your interior walls. Whether mold is visible on the surface of your interior walls or it is inside of the walls itself, it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Most mold is harmless – if unpleasant and unsightly – but toxic mold can potentially be fatal.
Clean Off the Surface
Surface mold can be difficult to get rid of. If you simply clean with ordinary cleaning solutions, the mold will just grow back. If you clean with something harsher like bleach, you could potentially damage your paint or your wallpaper. Clean off the surface with a hydrogen peroxide mix or with vinegar to ensure that the mold has been properly managed. You may need to clean multiple times. Scrub gently, wash with water and then allow to dry. Don't forget that anything acidic, like vinegar, can potentially lighten a surface if you don't wash it off quickly.
Replace Your Insulation
If the mold is in the interior of your wall, you'll usually need to replace your insulation altogether. Mold spores will travel throughout your home; mold spores are in every home and everywhere. The insulation will grow mold if it is both moist and wet. While you can dry the insulation out, you usually won't be able to eradicate all mold growth.
Pull Out Any Drywall
It's almost impossible to restore drywall. It has to be replaced if mold is growing in it. This is because drywall is incredibly porous. Once drywall is moist enough, the mold will continue growing and will not be able to be stopped. Even if you manage to sand off the mold outside, the mold can still grow from within. And if it's toxic mold, it could be releasing harmful spores. Luckily, drywall is usually fairly easy to replace.
Any wallpaper that has been subjected to mold growth needs to be replaced. It's very possible that mold is growing between the wallpaper and the wall itself if there is mold visible on the exterior of the wallpaper. The wallpaper will usually need to be replaced anyway; most wallpaper will begin to peel away from the wall if it is moist enough for mold growth.
You should always contact a mold remediation service if you suspect that you have toxic mold. A mold remediation service like AK Pest Control CVA. Inc. can test your mold and your air quality. Once the mold remediation service has addressed the problem, they can check the air quality again to make sure that your family and home is safe.Share